Saturday, November 1, 2008

My Little (BIG) Nephew!!!!

The hardest thing about divorce is losing family. I had a wonderful family and I am no longer a part of that clan. My brother-in-law married this summer and I awaited pictures because I was not invited. My nieces and nephews who I love dearly, I see less and less - soon to be no more as they grow and develop lives of their own. My brother and sisters-in-laws are bonded by blood thus their loyalty stays at home and we hear from them very, very little. We could always count on a holiday, a birthday, a celebration to bring us together, but now, even when it happens, it does not include me. It is amazing how the choices of one person can effect so many aspects of the lives of others. Somehow, when we fight for so many things in this country, we don't spend enough time fighting for our families.

However.....

My kids received a really fun package from their Aunt this week. Now that conferences were over and we had some daylight time, we were able to call and say thank you.

I love my sister-in-law. I miss the family dearly. Perhaps that is part of the reason that being so far away is sometimes easier......being close by and excluded is painful. Y'know, every time I talk to her, which isn't often, she says the same thing through tears. Somehow those very tears make me feel loved and appreciated. I miss her.

Anyway, my dear, wonderful nephew - a scholar and an athlete - is off to college. I missed all of high school and would have been the aunt sitting in the stands cheering him on! This terrific boy is off to Middlebury to study and play basketball and have the time of his life. I'm simply so proud of him! He's a tremendous kid!!!!

Congrats! I love to hear all about every wonderful thing that comes your way! I'm so very proud of you! I wish I could hug you and tell you this myself!!! You are terrific!

No comments: