Monday, July 28, 2008

If at all possible, be kind to your ex!


My kids are heading back to their father for the first time in 7 months tomorrow. While I hate to see them go, this is a relationship that is important and whatever time he can give them, I cherish for them. They love their dad and so they should. I loved him too! They deserve a wonderful time together and they are excited. I love that.

Tonight, I was packing a meal for the plane. The kids requested chicken cutlet sandwiches and as airlines no longer provide meals, I obliged. I also made one for Dad - he's doing the same round trip pick up that I face next week. It's a long day.

My youngest noticed and remarked,"Mommy, you are so nice to Daddy even though he isn't nice to you. I like that."

It's sadly true. I'm not a push over and I will fight like a lioness for the well being of my kids, but what is it to be civil and cordial and do the right thing?

I have many friends that would disagree - who would lay me out like a rug and call me a fool. Who actually, at points, told me to cut this relationship off and let the chips fall as they may. I would never do such a thing. I'm not a fool.

My kids were born out of a loving relationship and for that, I will always be grateful for that season in my life - some of my very happiest years.

Sometimes, I don't realize how much they see and take in - tonight was a perfect example. Ironically, I was unaware that I was being watched!

It is a useless waste of energy to do anything less than treat another the way you hope to be treated. It's not always easy, but a heck of a lot easier than the alternative! It is not my job to teach lessons, to make points, to prove issues - it IS my job to do the very best for my kids.

Have fun kids. I hope you all enjoy your sandwiches!!!!!!

1 comment:

lauren said...

You are showing your kids what it is to be a compassionate human being! Your actions teach them so much. Although not in your situation, I think its much more healthy to support the kids having a positive relationship with their father. Cutting him out of their lives is spiteful and it is clear -- you're not that kind of person. You've got a big heart that knows what's right for you and your family...don't second guess yourself so much! Love - L.