Monday, December 28, 2009

Joy....or NOT


You know that feeling when you look at a Christmas card or an online photo and the expression on the faces doesn't gel with the meaning behind the eyes?!  When the card is so controlled, planned, contrived that you have to wonder what the heck is really going on there because it's not reality?!

I find this interesting.
Telling.
Incredibly disturbing.

Should one have to work so hard at happiness that they need to show their joy on film?

When my kids started modeling years ago, the direction was "Do not smile, I want to see the natural you."  This, from one of the best photographers in the world. He would talk to them and capture them naturally - doing what they do - off beat and wonderful.  These pictures still hang on our walls and adorn our albums.

There was no dramatic effort involved.

Why is it that people need to put drama into their Christmas cards?  My very favorite card EVER was of my two oldest (before the others were born) in their jammies all dishevelved on the couch in black and white. I try hard to capture these natural moments on a daily basis.  I don't pose my kids for cards - I capture them  This years pix was a fun, photographic playdate - no money, nothing to do, let's play photographer.

My love for photography started late,  when I stood at my in-laws 50th anniversary party and watched what the paid photographer did.  I can do this~~~~ I thought. I was divorced that same week and bought myself a camera as a "reward."   I KNEW I could do better  - without the fanfare, the computers and the lights.  Honestly......a great point and shoot is easier to deal with than an SLR....but I use both and multiple lenses. 

I have not gone after a business because I work full time plus two and have health insurance to consider.  But, it's a hobby I adore.  A hobby that helps me create wonderful gifts for those I love.  A hobby that has afforded me the window into many friends lives. A hobby that makes people smile.

Real joy is just that.....REAL. It need not be posed It need not be work.  My favorite photos capture my kids and friends in natural light doing what they do naturally.

No comments: